Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We have a male lab, nearly 9 months old. Had been sleeping through from around 11 week old but over the last few weeks he has started to wake up in the night once / sometimes twice.
Our routine has not changed, he’s usually sleeping in the evening, we take him out for a pee and a short walk for a poo at around 10 -10:30 before he goes into his crate. Then he will wake up, usually any time between 12 to 12:30 and sometimes again around 1 to 2 hours later. I take him out on the lead (always ‘mater of fact’ no fuss etc), he will have a bit of a sniff, sometimes a spurt of pee and then will go back to his crate. (He is happy going back and settles in the crate).
This started a week before he had an ear infection, so then we thought that his ear might be causing him discomfort in the night, that has cleared up but he still seems to wake and want to go out.
Any advice on what we could do to go back to a proper night’s sleep (for us as well as him!) would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Usually they shout in the night simply because they wonder where you are and feel like a little company. But there is always the possibility of maybe a urine infection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Cymro

I’d be interested in the replies to this. We have a similar issue with our 6 month male lab (Stanley).
I know he can hold his toiletting for 8 hours but he tends to wake up in the night too. He goes in his crate around 10:15ish (somewhat reluctantly recently) and goes straight to sleep. He has a little moan around 12 ish and maybe 3 ish but straight back to sleep. The problem I have is he then wakes anytime from 4:45 to 5:30 and whines/howls/yodels. I’ve been leaving him to it and he will sometimes go back to sleep and then I get up at 6 anyway. Last night he didn’t quieten and barked so at 5:30 I took him out and he needed the toilet. He then went back to sleep in the chair until 7:30. Stanley is our first dog and we are learning all the time but it’s so hard to know what is the best thing to do to get a night without the broken sleep.
I hope things improve for you. Sleep is so precious and something I had taken for granted before Stanley arrived 😂
Lisa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually they shout in the night simply because they wonder where you are and feel like a little company……..
I think that this could be the reason. Put him in the den last night around 11 and went to bed. 11:30 he was barking, took him out, a little sniff and he trotted back to his crate. I decided to sleep on the sofa and he slept through with only one or two slight moans / grumbles in the night.
The question now is how to break him out of this habit. (that does not involve us wearing noise cancelling earphones! 😉)

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
One problem at the moment is that the sky is starting to lighten well before 4am, which does not help a puppy sleep through. But that should start to improve as the nights get longer. For my part I'm a little hard hearted and pull my pillow over my ears and pretend I'm dead!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on Stanley. We let him sleep in our kitchen/diner for the past 2 nights and we haven’t heard a peep from him. In fact I woke him up this morning when I got up at 6:45! He was lazing in the chair 😀

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that this could be the reason. Put him in the den last night around 11 and went to bed. 11:30 he was barking, took him out, a little sniff and he trotted back to his crate. I decided to sleep on the sofa and he slept through with only one or two slight moans / grumbles in the night.
The question now is how to break him out of this habit. (that does not involve us wearing noise cancelling earphones! 😉)
Have you tried putting some clothes or slippers outside his cage, near to it so he can smell you? We did this when ours arrived last week, so far he never wakes. We also tried this when we left him and he seemed ok, I think it may give them comfort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts