Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

We are getting our first chocolate lab the middle of October and we are so excited.

I have a few labs in our family and we love the breed....

I wondered if anybody could give us a bit of advice about getting a pup..... we will be leaving him on his on for a few hours during the day while at work, what should we leave him while out? we want be going back to work straight away the pup will be around 11-12 weeks old before we leave him for the 1st time.

Also we didnt really want to crate train... is this going to be a problem ?

Thank you so much for reading and would love some advice.

x x x

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
When you say a few hours, do you mean 2-3? As that would be fine. When you say you don't want to crate train, what are your reasons for this? (Just curious :) )

Also, you're not allowed to post on this forum without showing us pictures of your pup :D :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
we left Max at around 12 weeks for a couple of hours a day , but found that crate training was the best method for us , we knew he was safe in his crate whilst we were out and he wouldn't come to any harm , Max loved the security of his crate , and in time he wanted to go there of his own accord, he had toys and blankets in there , but we never left food in there, we left a supply of water outside with the door open and he had no problem with his house training , he was dry within a month , and had little accidents, he came out of his crate at just under 12 months, but saying all that a friend of mine, did not use a crate and had no problems.
bet you can't wait for your pup, post some pics when you have them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thank for for your replies.

As soon as we get him i will post pics ( i cant wait )

There isnt really any reason why we dont want to crate train... i just think anybody in my family that has ever owned a lab has never had to do it.

At first when we leave he will only be left for 2 hours, but as he gets older he will be left for max 5 hours but as soon as we are home he will get our full love and attention. (he is going to be spoilt

Thanks x x x

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Congratulations on your new arrival.

He'll struggle a bit with 5 hours alone no matter how old he is - that tends to be when the destruction starts - a kind of separation anxiety/boredom reaction. I have two and would never leave them for that length of time unless there was a genuine crisis.

Mibbe you could look into day boarding at local kennels or a dog walker when you are at work?

Much more peace of mind for all concerned.

I'm a fan of crate training on so many levels, but each unto their own!

Looking forward to the piccies

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply i really appreciate your help and advice.

Im going by my families past experience with labs and didnt think it would be a problem to leave them on their own for a few hours. (i thought they would enjoy some rest, as when we are home it will be play time all the time) :lol:

I will definetly consider a dog walker.....my parents live just around the corner and they have offered to go around during the day so thats another option.

Thank you x x

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's not a problem leaving them for a few hours, but usually three is more than enough without a break. Certainly, that's about the usual limit for mine, although tonight they were in for three and a half hours as I had the kids at pizzahut then the cinema.

I walked and fed the dogs before I left so they would sleep. They were wild with excitement when we came home and I played with them for an hour to calm them down. Any more than three or so hours is an awful lot IMO - labs just love company!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Waiting is hard. :) Sure you will be fine.
I did not use crate for any of my dogs and we never had any problems.
Good luck.

Cant wait for update with pictures.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You'll have two problems at that age.. 1 your pup wont be fully potty trained.. though after a month of taking him out he will be on the way.. yet you can expect some surprises.... lol.. and two, chewing and general bordom, and of course you can give him toys, and especially chews, perhaps, a thick bone he wont finish before you arrive home.. the real question.. do you have a specific room, or garage you can leave him in till you return without worry of the leg of your table being chewed on etc..lol... im sure you will work thru it... best wishes to you and your pup..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Untill our pup if fully house trained i will make sure somebody goes around there every 1-2 hours to let him out in the garden.

We have the kitchen garage which he would always have the run of..... or we have a large garden with quite a big shed which could be adapted for him to go in and out off (maybe just the warner months) what do you think would be best?

Thank you for all your help x

?

·
0 Posts
Twigglet said:
We have the kitchen garage which he would always have the run of..... or we have a large garden with quite a big shed which could be adapted for him to go in and out off (maybe just the warner months) what do you think would be best?
Personally I would stick with having him indoors, unless of course you have an extremely secure garden and no neighbours. Dogs on their own outside can get into the habit of barking, this annoys anyone within hearing range (especially if it goes on for hours) and it lets others know you are out and you have a dog which could be targetted for thieves. There are too many dogs stolen in this country, even from rural areas, for me to ever feel happy about leaving a dog outside, unless it is in a very secure pound.

As for the great crate debate, having raised pups both with and without crates, I would only ever go WITH a crate now. I can only see benefits in using a crate for all concerned, as long as it is used in the right way. That said, I wouldn't shut a dog in one for 5 hours during the day as well as overnight, that to me is too long.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hiya, we left our lab alone from 12 weeks, only because we have to as we both work full time. We crate trained him at the breeder's advice, he's our first dog. I'm glad we did, as it was a security for him and we wouldn't have had much of a house to come back to. We leave him at 8:15, my mom pops in at 10:30, I'm home at lunch 1:15-1:45 and then we're home at 5.

It's not ideal, I would love to work part time. We just have to make sure we tire him out of a morning before we leave and then I give him his kong with a small amount of frozen puppy filling for the afternoon.

He's not crate trained anymore though. After he was neutered at 6 months he started getting separation anxiety. Really odd, I don't know what did it. Anyway, he started destroying his crate and I felt he looked big in there even though it's a giant one. After I found the side all bent in and spindles hanging off I didn't feel it was safe to leave him in there anymore.

He has the run of the utility now and I think he appreciates it. I leave his toys, the 'safe' ones that he can't destroy. Apart from pulling the plaster off the wall the first night and pulling the panel off the washing machine, he doesn't pick on anything anymore. Touching wood.

I think it's important to stick to a routine though, then Bailey knows that we go away but we always come back.

Good luck xx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi

Many thanks for your reply

Its good to talk to somebody who is in the same situation as me (working full time)

How much exercise do you recommend we should i give our pup? x x
Do you know what age we can take him out for walks?

Thank you x x x x :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts