Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Looking for advice of anyone has been through similar. Our dog Harley has been toilet trained since 10 weeks old and he’s been great at it. However over the last week, he’s not going in the garden anymore and instead holding it in for his walks. Now while this doesn’t bother me in the morning (it’s no hassle to walk him first thing) I cannot do this at nighttime. We live on a main 60mph country road, so taking him out with our garden is really dangerous and I’m not jumping in my car to drive somewhere at 10/11pm. Last night I went outside with him at 10:45 and finally got him to go to the toilet at 12:25!

anyone experienced Similar?

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
I would not suspect a medical problem, because that usually means a sudden urge, and when the urge happens they need to go wherever they are, be it out on a walk or in the garden. I think you need to cast your mind back to try to see a possible cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He’s recently started cocking his leg and peeing in small bursts on a walk to “mark”, I thought maybe he’s trying to hold it in for walks so he can do that, rather than peeing all in one go like he usually would in the garden?

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Back in the day when I kept dogs I would never allow them to scent mark when out. I think a lot of the problem these days is extending leads giving dogs too much freedom to do as they please. (As you can gather, I hate extending leads.)

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
1 Posts
There could be a variety of reasons why an 8-month-old has stopped using the toilet in the garden. Perhaps there have been changes in the child's daily routine or environment that have caused them to become resistant to using the toilet outside. Maybe the child is now more aware of their bladder and bowels and prefers to use the toilet inside because they feel more comfortable doing so. Alternatively, it could simply be a phase that the child is going through and they will eventually return to using the toilet outside again. If you are concerned about your child's refusal to use the garden toilet, it is best to talk to your pediatrician for advice.

Read More About How To Train A German Shepherd Puppy For Potty?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts