Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 8 1/2 week old pup has a leg that shakes quite often.. seems a bit more after working with him.. talked to my vet about it and she told me not to worry, that it is due to the fact that his bones may be growing faster than his tendions. Not new to the pup game, but have never had this happen to my other dogs. Anyone out there with the same situation? Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Is it when he puts weight on it? Like when he is sitting? Cadbury's right leg would shake sometimes when he was sitting, I'd forgotten about it until I read your post.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Hi there. Hmm can't say I've ever seen this, but I would would be hesitant about doing much work with the pup until this has stopped, and then stick to the 5 mins per month rule. Hope he grows out of it soon.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
When my pup was little, her front leg used to shake a wee bit too - not after exercise or anything - just randomly. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but I put it down to her being either a little bit nervous or bit excited in some situations.

....like, she'd be desperate to run after my cat, but I'd be making her leave him alone, and her leg would start to shake a bit.

Like Chocice (Sophie), I'd forgotten she even did this!

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Someone wrote a post about the back legs in an older dog shaking recently and I mentioned that Luna has had front leg shakes for ages now. (she's just reached 1 year old) I always put it down to excitement like Moj says as would notice when I've asked her to sit and wait for some reason. It still happens occasionally.

Luna is in the process if being diagnosed with elbow dysplasia (2nd lot of xrays in about 6 weeks now) could the trembling be related?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input.. Yes it seems to shake when he puts weight on it. It happens both when he sits and stands. i have also noticed that he seems to role the front paw forward a little at times when it shakes. Not painful for him at all, has tons of energy. Going the the vet this week for a check up, gonna see what she has to say about it now. Hopefully it happens when we are in there.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Just a thought - sometimes when humans rest a limb awkwardly, if they catch a nerve then the limb can shake quite violently - I would assume this is something that could happen in dogs as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took riggs in a couple days ago and he wants me to wait another month before we start to worry. Still thinks its just the tendons and a growth thing. Hope so

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Sultan does this from time to time. My new vet said this is nothing to worry about, and normal in a growing pup.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
What you describe Matty32 is exactly how Cadbury's leg would go sometimes, he didn't even seem to notice it was happening.

He grew out of it eventually.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
It happened with both my boys, probably Huds more than Pasco. The do grow out of it - I've not seen them do it for ages!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Riggs just stopped doing it a few days ago.. I was getting a little worried.. I even had several vets take a look at him.. Had a few different opinions. Im just glad that it stopped. He is doing great. Had him on a few live birds already. The only problem is he doesnt want to quit. Ha Ha. Thanks again everyone for your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts