Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to put this so apologise in advance if its not.

I have a black lab, called albert. He is seven and a half months old. He has been to puppy training classes and was walking to heel coming etc very well to both my husband and I. My husband two months ago had a serious operation and has been at home all this time recovering. I have been at work some of the time and the boys have been on there own.

Albert has started refusing to walk on the lead with me. If hubby stops to pick up his mess or goes off to do something albert refuses to move and just sits there. He also refsued to budge when I tried to take him for a walk on my own. He also rarely comes to me in the park when I call him if hubby is there. I am getting quite upset about this as we got the dog particularly for me!

Help!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: 7month Lab wont walk on the lead anymore, advice please

albertdoggie said:
Albert has started refusing to walk on the lead with me. ... He also refsued to budge when I tried to take him for a walk on my own.
I think you need to persevere and set time aside on your own with Albert. Re-build the rapport you had with him at training class.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
It sounds like he has bonded with your husband during their time together. I suggest some regular 1:1 time walking and training and PLAYING for just you and Albert so that he realises you are his friend too!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Nothing really startling to add as the others have made perfect sense. Try spending time on your own with him. Become the most wonderful charming exciting thing in his life. Use treats and bribes if you have to but you must make yourself more interesting to him.

He is obviously used to getting entertained by your husband and its easier for him to look to him. Also make sure your husband helps out and doesn't sabotage your efforts by encouraging the dog to him etc. I am bad for doing this myself as its easier - both my dogs respond better to me than my husband and thats partly my fault. I know it frustrates him at times too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your helpful advice. Hubby has been at the hospital toay and albert and i went our for a lovely walk. He tried to resist at first but once he realised i was having none of it he gave in and we had some really nice time together.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
That's great news. I wasn't going to add anything else the others had already said. Just keep plugging away with Albert - and post some pictures :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts