Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My Labrador is 7 months old. We generally have had puppy mouthing under control but when she turned 6 months she started having outbursts where she would jump up and try to bite and during this 'outburst' it is difficult to get her to stop. This usually happens when she is overexcited by something. She is generally a very sweet pup and these outbursts tend to last 60 seconds before she returns to normal and they usually happen once a day. This is my first dog and despite my absolute best efforts with her training I'm quite concerned! It doesn't seem to me like she is being playful when she does this. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello everyone,

My Labrador is 7 months old. We generally have had puppy mouthing under control but when she turned 6 months she started having outbursts where she would jump up and try to bite and during this 'outburst' it is difficult to get her to stop. This usually happens when she is overexcited by something. She is generally a very sweet pup and these outbursts tend to last 60 seconds before she returns to normal and they usually happen once a day. This is my first dog and despite my absolute best efforts with her training I'm quite concerned! It doesn't seem to me like she is being playful when she does this. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

thanks!
This is so familiar to me, Jas is 7 months on the 1st of July and still has these episodes, although so much less frequent, and more manageable than a few weeks ago. Now she does 'mouth' more often than bite but it's been a long road getting to this point!
When she starts, or even looks like starting, I employ one of two tactics depending on the circumstances. Sometimes it's triggered by excitement, then she gets given one of her soft toys, she mouths this ,goes into waggy tail mode ,but champing down on the toy helps a lot. I especially use this method first thing in the morning or if we have visitors. Sometimes, the biting seems triggered by other things e.g. Boredom, wanting to play, teething etc then I tend to use distraction by getting her to sit and following up with a few minutes brain training - seems to work well. I am firm about " no biting" now though, and have been for a few weeks.
It's often combined with jumping up, which is what we're currently working on 😀

1 - 2 of 2 Posts