Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first post on here and looking for some advice. I have a 7 year old chocolate lab (8 in March) and we have bred with him once but don't want to breed with him again. He is not usually a humpy dog, but every once in a while when he starts playing, he starts trying to hump my husband. Last night our friends 3 year old girl was playing with him and he started to try and hump her, then pined after her when I locked him in the kitchen. I am expecting a baby in 4 weeks and as he is so strong I really don't want him to do this, so am considering castrating him. He is nearly 8 though, but healthy. Has anyone had experience castrating an 8 year old dog? He also has a lump on his epidydimis which is another reason to remove them. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks x

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I have castrated or been close to people who have castrated dogs of this age for various reasons, usually dogs coming out of puppy farms after a stud career in there - poor chaps.

They have all taken it absolutely fine. Has he ever had a general anesthetic? If he has then you know he is fine with GA and that is the ONLY thing for each new dog as to whether there will be anything negative occur. The castration itself and recovery will be like falling off a log for him.

Di

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me. No, he has not had a general before. He has (touch wood) been very healthy with us so not needed anything. I have called my vet this morning and can pay to have a blood test done before hand to check his kidneys and liver to make sure that's all OK. I am just conscious he is no spring chicken anymore so am a bit worried about putting him through this stress....then i think how many dogs are castrated as standard at any age through places like the RSPCA and other dogs home, so it must be OK :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It is perfectly OK and he will bounce in a day or two unless he is very unlucky. i never think of a dog as old until it hits double figures in our breed!

This is the sort of age where I have spayed quite a large number of bitches over the years as its bang on when their breeding career finishes.... and that is a MUCH bigger operation. Much :)

Di

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
I've never had a dog castrated that late, but the oldest I've had a bitch spayed was 10 years old, as an emergency, (Pyometra.) No problem.

Regards, John

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
We have had a fair number of oldies neutered when they've come into Oldies Club care - and we only take dogs aged 7+. Seven really isn't very old for many dogs. It's at the very young end of the dogs we help :)

If you are worried, you can do things like the pre-op blood test, clotting test, have the dog on a drip during the op etc. Before anyone moans at me, I'm just mentioning these as available options :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had buster done when he was seven in february this year. This was due to getting Lola in march when she was 8 weeks old. He was absolutely fine. My hubby took him in at 8 in the morning so Buster couldn't blame me!! He came home at 4.30 and slept then had two pouches of post op food then slept the night. Was fine the next day and pottered out to do his wees. He had his first gentle walk on day 3 and it is nice now he doesn't stop to spray everything. Doesn't get unwanted growls off the other boys now! I did miss him like crazy when he was in the vets for the day. He took it all in his stride and i am sure yours will too. he is left with a hanging pouch now which is not too attractive though!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts