Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
First time on here or any other forum for that matter! Been reading some posts and they have been very helpful. Clover is a choc brown lab, who will be 6mths old on 11th August.

Clover is very clever, learning tricks and commands after just a couple of attempts. However when it comes to listening when she is being naughty it is a whole different story!

Unfortunately she has the unpleasant habit of eating poo poos - mostly her own but she has ventured into other varieties - "leave it" works on and off - she knows exactly what it means but chooses whether to obey or not.

She has discovered she is tall enough to stand on her back legs and get anything/everything off the kitchen counters. She has decided that chewing zips on expensive sofa cushions is also a great pass time! Again, she knows what she is supposed to be chewing - She has a range of toys/chewers - loves kong with peanut butter in and the flat rawhide chews. But both of these only last 5mins.

I have tried the bigger rawhide bones/rings but she isnt interested. She goes out for three walks a day and my boyfriend works from home so is rarely left on her own, yet she still seems to be bored and resorts to menacing...I like the idea of a frozen kong stuffed with food but she is on dried stuff. Has anyone got suggestions to keep her occupied before my furniture starts to be destroyed?!

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
6 months is a prime time for chewing, all those new teeth are settling in and pups get very pre-occupied with chewing. It also is a very pleasurable activity for the dog as it releases Endorphins (think that is the right word?). Cadbury was a major chewer and very rarely did he choose to chew toys rather than something he shouldn't! :roll:

He chewed the door frame, all the plaster off one corner of the wall, all the edges of his bed, edges of cupboards, and one morning he decided to pull off and swallow every press knob on the cooker 8O When the gentleman fixed them, he left the room literally five minutes and Cadbury ate them all again! My dad had to build a 'cooker cover' out of wood and he has chewed that too!

OK, so Cadbury was seriously bad, but even he has improved and the chewing has all but stopped save for destroying his bed. (He is now close to 18 months).

In the meantime, damage control is your best bet, as you have found the kongs and things don't last long. I do buy Cadbury the large roasted bones from the pet shop and that made a big difference, but not everyone likes them. Counters I keep clean, or push things right to the back so he can't get them (kitchen is ever so tidy these days!) That has improved too, though I don't entirely trust him.

If I go out Cadbury is still confined to the kitchen so he can't get into trouble while unsupervised.

The chewing does get better with time, and you just have to ride out this puppy phase. By the time Cadbury was 10 months the chewing behaviour had stopped considerably.

Afraid I can't help with the poo question, that is one thing Cadbury doesn't do!

Anyway, should have said Welcome to LF and looking forward to pictures of Clover.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - thank you - The chewing does have an upside - boyfriend is no longer leaving mess all around for me to tidy up when I get in, and Clover did me a favour in chewing one of his ratty old trainers which will force him to finally buy some new ones!

I think I will try the bones. Though is it true once you start giving them bones, you have to carry on as their tummies get used to them...? That is something my mum told me. She has a weimaraner.

I am worried that the older Clover gets, the more she will ignore us...as I say, she knows perfectly well what is naughty - but she still carries on and does it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My pups have only just started chewing and they are coming up 2 their 8 month, im not sure which one it is doing it as ive never seen them doing it.
I brought them a new matress style bed and it lasted 2 days before having a big hole on the corner!!!
Charlie my black lab also eats poo!! and i would also like any suggestions or advice on stopping this as it really turns my stomach when i see him do it!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I think I remembered reading on here somewhere that if a dog is eating it's own poo, put some pineapple in it's food and it'll soon stop. Or was that seaweed powder? Will have to find out now. I think it was pineapple for own poo and powdered seaweed for horse poo.

The chewing thing. Jet did, Shadow didn't, Splodge CHEWS EVERYHING including Shadow 8O A wipe of a fresh cut chilli stopped Jet from eating most of the house. Bones also seemed to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Steve_P said:
I think I remembered reading on here somewhere that if a dog is eating it's own poo, put some pineapple in it's food and it'll soon stop. Or was that seaweed powder? Will have to find out now. I think it was pineapple for own poo and powdered seaweed for horse poo.

The chewing thing. Jet did, Shadow didn't, Splodge CHEWS EVERYHING including Shadow 8O A wipe of a fresh cut chilli stopped Jet from eating most of the house. Bones also seemed to help.

YES IT IS PINEAPPLE IT DOES WORK TOO

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna is a cat/horse poo eater - OR can I say WAS a cat/horse poo eater!!!!! 8O

It has been the OFF command which has definitely stopped horse poo snacking, the cat poo is a work in progress. It sounds gross but with gloves on I picked up horse poo, placed it in front of Luna, when she went for it I said OFF repeatedly (she'd already learnt this command!). She will now take at most a sneaky lick of horse poo now! Cat poo is still a work in progress and if I'm a second too late saying OFF well... ! Luna has never eaten her own poop ( :D ). I have heard that pineapple can deter dogs eating their own - Luna likes pineapple so might be worth buying a can to try!

You could freeze her dry food in water in a kong (foil up the hole!), Luna loves frozen yoghurt in hers too. Frozen things are good for teething (an old towel wet with a few treats hidden in used to take her a while to get through). Big cardboard boxes were fabulous time fillers, and the bigger rawhide chews still keep Luna occupied in the evening (15months now). Luna also still loves ripping apart soft toys. Charity shops are a good source - just check they are filled with fluff not beans!

She's always been a pretty good at chewing what she's supposed to but the dustpan, flip-flop, hose, any brush and today the vacuum edge cleaning accessory could argue against my stating that!

Your Clover is reaching a disobedient, 'teenage', boundary-pushing age. Grit your teeth and grin and bear it - it does get better!!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
OFF. It's got to be one of the best commands ever. Applies to everything and with patience works a treat.

G

·
Ruby's also a poo eater - her own and the cats. I found the pineapple juice thing worked initially, but she has gone back to eating them again recently. I still put a bit of juice in her food every day, though.

Some advice that came in very handy from both our trainer and this forum was that doing some training exercises in short bursts - say 5-10 minutes a few times a day - tires a puppy out far more than physical exercise. It definitely works with Ruby, she usually flakes out after we've done some training in the garden.

On the chewing front, we've been fairly lucky as apart from one doormat she's not really chewed anything she shouldn't. After we came home to find the mat in pieces she was put back in her crate again when we had to leave her alone. As mentioned above, it's likely the teething that's making Clover worse. Ruby loved rawhide bones when she was teething (still does) and I'd definitely recommend raw bones from the butcher - Rubes has one or two per week and again she tires herself out demolishing them.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Mole has never been a major chewer, but she really enjoys a kong stuffed with banana and then frozen, or you could try soaking her dry food in hot water til it softens, stuff the kong and freeze it. She also likes it when I put a few bits of her food in a plastic bottle which she throws around until the food drops out - keeps her occupied for ages :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you to all for helpful comments. Another cushion bit the dust yesterday so I am going to try the kong dinner tomorrow and load up with bones at the weekend! On the whole she is good and I shouldnt complain, I think she is just a bit too clever for her own good and gets bored easily. She gets a training session on all her walks and loves learning new stuff, I am currently building up the "stay" to a whole minute! Any trick suggestions welcome.
x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts