Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so hope I've posted in the right section as I'm just wanting a little advise, on Saturday my 6 month old labrador was chasing my cat and got her paw caught in the stair gate she yelped and was fine afterwards and carried on playing but later that evening she started limping slightly which I wasn't concerned about as she appeared fine in herself and was still playing and running about, Sunday morning she still had a slight limp so decided not to take her for a walk and make sure she rested as much as possible (was hard) today I have got up and she is still her giddy normal self but with a slight limp I've checked her paw and I can't see that she has and swelling and she lets me touch it and she not moaning. Should I be concerned and take her to the vets or has anyone on here got any other advise they could offer?

Thanks
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,494 Posts
From what you say it sounds like a simple sprain. Personally I'd give it time to clear it's self up. But of course, I cant see it so only you can make that decision. A good maxim is, "If it was a child would you take it to the doctor?" If the answer is yes then go to the vet, if the answer is no then wait and see.

Regards, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
It could also be ‘pano’ i suppose around that age, George had it i think around then.

As John said rest, which is obviously easier said than done with a Lab pup... and then see. If it goes and comes back on another side then that would be a go indication of ‘pano’ which is essentially growing pains i think.

Someone who knows more will more certainly point out my error...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hi - My 9 month old Lab was limping last Tuesday after a bit of rough and tumble playing whilst out on a walk with another dog. He was limping but didn't mind walking on it and being touched and leg wasn't hot to touch or swollen and I checked for cuts etc in the pads. However, it didn't stop after a couple of days so I popped him to the vet. She gave him an injection of ibruprofen and told me to cage him for two weeks and give him ibruprofen each day (total cost was £78). However, easier said than done and Buddy would certainly have been depressed if he were to be caged all of a sudden. I popped the stair gate on to the bottom of our stairs and told hubby and the kids to make sure he takes it easy - I gave him the ibruprofen for a couple of days and just lead walked him round the block so he had got out - his limp wasn't so severe - I made a judgement just like with the kids - he has had some rest and I am glad to say that he hasn't had any ibruprofen for a few days and he isn't limping - we have been out for a good walk today and although I am mindful of his leg and kept an eye on it, he seems ok and back to "normal".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the comments I will keep my eye on her and try rest her as much as possible, she is due to the vets next week so if she's no better they can look at it then
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top