Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds weird I know but last night we took the dogs out as usual but instead of doing partly road/partly grass walk we took them to the prom and walked along that instead so all road/concrete. We must have been out for approx 40 minutes at a steady pace which Scamp copes fine with normally but when we got home last night he layed down for approx 10 minutes and then stood up to go for a drink and yelped so loudly and was limping really badly, he really didn't want to put his front paws to the ground at all and was unsteady on one of his back paws.
I had a look and on the large rear pad on both front feet the top layer of his pad has just vanished and there are a couple of other areas when the top layer has disappeared, one of his rear paws has some areas on where the top of his pad has come off too.
I bathed the paws and left him to it as he really didn't want to move, I've talked to the vets whom have said as long as his feet don't look infected to leave him as it is sore for him to move.
I'm worried though as he is refusing to even go outside for a wee, he yelps when he has to stand, has his ears back and tail tightly between his legs, wont go to his water bowl although will have a drink when I bring the bowl to him.
Do I go on the vets advice and leave him or do I try to get him to them even if there is not much they can do for him, is there any pain relief for this sort of injury even?
Thanks for reading
Katrina

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lillie does this very regularly, in fact one of her rear pads now has a permanent pink patch instead of the normal dark brown. The first time she did it was walking on a cinder path, but it's also happened on tarmac and grass, I think she just has sensitive pads. Normally they hurt her just overnight and then the next day she is able to walk round gingerly but doesn't whimper and it doesn't stop her from getting up and about.

If Scamp's pain lasts longer than a day or so and he's not able to walk around then I'd give the vets another call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts