Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I had my lab scanned at 27 days and confirmed in pup with 8-9 from what could be seen.
Couple of things...
Should I change her over to puppy food in a couple of weeks or leave her on her own food? She is on wellness core which seems pretty good for all she needs? (Correct me if I’m wrong)
Also when do people start changing the amount of food to give? Again there are mixed opinions on this and even with family member being a breeder I don’t know what’s best!! I have noticed possibly she is drinking a little more than usual is this normal?
Thank you in advance 👍

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I don't feed puppy food as my dogs are raw fed, so they just get more of that. I don't know the thinking behind giving puppy food, as to me, a good quality food should have everything you need in it for your dogs, and there's very little difference with good quality puppy foods and normal adult food. I don't up feed hugely before pups are born, I do increase slightly, but don't over do it as I don't want them to put on too much weight, so it's a balancing act between giving enough to ensure pups develop well, and she doesn't get a bit too porky. After pups are born then she gets enough to ensure a good milk supply, and I give goats milk as well.

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
A number of people do give puppy food, but I'm old, and was around long before puppy food was invented and our dogs did perfectly well without. I dont even use much puppy food with my pups. I like a nice steady growth, thinking it better for joints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies! :) I didn’t think it would benefit a lot me changing her to puppy food with her being on decent dry food anyway and was worried it would upset her stomach changing to puppy food as she can be a little sensitive with certain foods... I think unless I’m told differently I will be leaving her on what she’s on and will increase slightly as she does constantly seem hungry at the moment which isn’t like her as although a lab she’s not food driven at all!! I am taking her for a re scan next week (6 weeks) see how things are 😬

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
To be honest, I don't scan at all, they are either in pup or not, I just don't see the point in taking them for a journey, and having a scan. If they're not in pup it's usually fairly obvious. I don't breed very often and some breeders do like to scan, but to me, once you've had a mating they are or they aren't, scanning doesn't make any difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts