Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sonny is due his second flea traatment next week at his 14weeks. He has been wormed at 8 and 12weeks with drontol plus.

His first flea treatment was through companion care and used advocate.

He weight was 10.6kg at his 12week check so he is surly over 11kg now.

I am not sure the best and cheapest route to continue... Should I continue with advocate or use frontline? Can I buy then at PAH for next week or cheaper online?

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Frontline is much cheaper online and can be bought without a prescription. Pets at Home and Asda Pharmacy also sell it slightly cheaper than the vet but not as cheap as online vet stores.

eg http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-195-frontline-spot-on-dog.aspx
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/frontline-spot-on-flea-drops-for-medium-dogs-and-puppies-(10-20kg)-15641

I think Frontline and Drontal are ok to use together but I don't think you need to rush with the flea treatment unless you know you have a problem. Coco has never had fleas and I only treat her about twice a year - some people don't even do that. Regular worming is more important.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Have you seen any sign of fleas?

It's personal choice, but (personally!) I wouldn't flea treat again at this time, especially not in one so young, who is already dealing with just having had vaccinations, a previous flea treatment, worming, a move to your home etc., unless you believe he has fleas.

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
I only ever use those treatments where there are likely to be fleas or ticks. Certainly never in mid winter. I think Lulu who is now 18 months old has only ever had about 4 tick/flea treatments.

Only once in 30 years have we had a flea problem. When we "inherited" a sofa from my sister who had cats.

Not necessary I'd say.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My American Cocker pup is 6 months old and I haven't used a single flea treatment on him....I have wormed him monthly since bringing him home but will now decrease that to every 3 months unless needed.

I really wouldn't use a flea treatment unless needed, my vet didn't even mention flea treatments at Rupert's vaccination....My friend is with Companion Care and they do push the monthly flea treatments :roll: Along with a six month puppy check up, new patient appointments etc etc so keep your wits about you and ask yourself "is this really necessary?????"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts