Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago yesterday, we said good bye to our lovely lab Jet. He was only 9 months old but because of one thing and another there was very little that could be done - had no hips or elbows and was full of arthritis. The pictures I put on his website were from the morning of the 17th August 2007 in our back garden. He collapsed twice getting down to the grass and we had to carry him back up to the house. Looking back, I have to wonder about how tall he was and if the food he was getting had something to do with bringing everything on so quickly, even at 9 months old, he was about 6 inches taller than Shadow is now. It was one of the sadest days we ever had, no one wants to let a family member go let alone a puppy. His full story is on the link at the bottom of my sig.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have just read your piece on Jet and it is truly sad, and must have been heartbreaking for you all. Only nine months old is no age at all. You had a very difficult decision to make, but you did what was best for Jet.

Rest in peace little Jet. :)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Jet was a beautiful boy Steve, he was tall for his age but I wouldn`t have thought his diet was in any connected with his condition, you did the only thing you could and it must have been so hard to make the decision that was best for him and not you and the family.

Hope your running and playing at the Bridge jet forever a puppy and pain free.

?

·
0 Posts
((((HUGS))))) Matey.

I remember Jet's story all too well and how devestated you were at the time. When any dog reaches it's time to go it is very sad but when that dog is so young, it is heartbreaking.

Jet will remain forever in your hearts and memories. He was clearly a very special boy. XXX

M

·
0 Posts
Poor little Jet. You were obviously meant to be his family.

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little Jet :lol: :lol: :lol: He was HUGE!!!

You know, now and then, I'm sure he makes Shadow do things he's not meant to. I reckon he lets Shadow know about things not to do too, Jet was a very un-subtle counter surfer, he didn't really have to put his paws up so much as just his head (I'm sure he was part horse), we can leave a complete roast dinner out with Shadow and know it'll stay there - Splodge on the other hand . . . . .

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
just to say how sad that you lost your special dog so early.

it's 3 years tomorrow since I lost Crumble but HOW FORUTNATE I was as she was just short of her 17th birthday and had certainly lived a very full life. I have some wonderful memories

thinking of you

Bernice

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I remember Jet and have shed a tear all over again reading his story via your link.

Jet,I hope you are enjoying the bridge free from pain now handsome lad
xxx

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Owww, thank you but don't be sad, he's certainly better off now. He was a puppy who couldn't be a puppy let alone become an adult dog with any sort of quality of life. If a few hundred people read his story and some of them realise the pitfalls of bad breeding and help stop it then that's a lot of people he's helped.

Only the other day, a family came in the shop with their more than slightly overweight lab bitch who they were proudly talking about breeding from, with half a pedigree (only on the fathers side). They hadn't heard of eye tests and weren't really bothered about hip scores. Thought they'd do the whole thing in their garden and house and the young kids wouldn't be at all upset to see the puppies go. I mentioned to them some of Jets story and heard them talking about getting their dog spayed as they walked off up the road.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Steve..

Having recently lost a youngster too, I know how easy it is to beat yourself up over the what if's, we are still doing that, and we wonder if we contributed to Tara's early death.

Jet had a wonderful 9 months with you, you have to remember that had he been anywhere else he may not have recieved the care and love he did from you.

I am sure there is a special place in Heaven/Bridge that is reserved for young dogs, they all live happily together there, waiting for us to join them when our time comes.

When God calls little puppies to dwell with Him above,
We humans always question the wisdom of His love.
For no heartache can compare with the loss of one small 'child',
Who does so much to make this world seem wonderful and mild.

Perhaps God tires - always calling the aged to His fold,
And so He picks a rosebud before it can grow old.
God knows how much we need them and so He picks but few;
To make the land of heaven more beautiful to view.
Believing this is difficult, yet somehow we must try,
For the saddest word that mankind knows will always be "good-bye".

And so when little pups depart;
We, who are left behind, must realize how much God loves
puppies....
For angels are hard to find.

Author Unknown

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Aww Steve - what a sad day for you, think of the happy times you had with Jet - and know that you gave him the best life he could have had and did the best thing for him....

He was one lucky lad to have had you and your family to take care of him!

Rest in peace Jet

Eve Neo and Bramble

1 - 17 of 17 Posts