Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 month old lab wakes me up at 2 am most nights. I don't seem able to stop it - he comes up to me and tries to wake me up by nudging me and puts his teeth round my wrist until I get up and take him out into the garden. He comes back in has a few biscuits and settles down and sleeps. I've tried saying a firm no or turning away from him and ignoring him but he won't settle v until I take him out .

He has 2-3 walks, up to an hour long, per day. He gets taken out before bed up the road. He's not hungry and he gets a handful of biscuits before bed. He's not in pain or stressed. He either sleeps on dog beds in the hall downstairs or our bedroom so he's not lonely as he can get to us whenever he wants to. We don't have foxes near us and I'm not aware of any cats being around then

I think it's a habit he's got into but apart from shutting him out of the bedroom which I don't want to do, I don't know how to get him out of this.

Any ideas. anyone

ps hubby thinks I‘m too soft with him - the dog. He sleeps right through it whilst I wake up easier
pps I’ve started taking him down on his lead so he doesn’t get to wander around the garden or lie down on the grass and I’ve cut out the treats

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
I'm afraid I'm a little like your husband. Door shut, head under the pillow and snoring loudly. Once my dog can last all night, normally before 9 or 10 weeks old, I dont go to them during the night. (Except to an old infirmed dog.) Now Chloe has got use to the procedure, my bedroom door is now open all night, but Chloe will not come in until she hears me getting up in the morning. She made a mistake a week or so ago and came bouncing in wagging her tail while I was still in bed. I kept my eyes closed, and squinting through my eyelashes saw her tail go down as she crept back out of my room.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s basically my own fault isn’t it? Ive provably been soft with him I’ve got to try and fix it now

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing is that he moves around the bedroom or goes downstairs throughout the night as if he can’t settle on one place to sleep. I’m wondering if a doughnut type bed might be better as it’s more enclosed than his flat mattress style beds, as he’s always liked getting into enclosed areas -behind chairs in cupboards, under chairs etc

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
They do like enclosed spaces. Deep down they feel safe that predators cannot creep up from behind. But some dogs are just "Wanderers." Anna was a wanderer, and never ever laid down, rather throw herself down with the loudest sigh imaginable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our other two labs just slept on their beds and hardly ever disturbed us at night. This one - perhaps because we’re older, perhaps he’s smaller and a bit anxious. Perhaps we’re still getting over the loss our previous dogs and their being ill so tend to worry more about this one

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can relate to this. Up until recently we let Stanley have the run of the house with a bed in the kitchen/diner and our bedroom and of course the sofa! He would wander around and up and down the stairs and then come in at 4-5am giving us a nudge with his nose.
I’d had enough of this early morning wake up call so we put him back in the kitchen/diner and closed the door. He is much more settled and we wake him at 7am now!
Maybe try something similar with him if you can.
All the best
Lisa

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had Freddie (now 13 months) nicely settled and sleeping downstairs from about a month after we got him... but then he got kennel cough and we let him sleep upstairs in our room. Since then we just haven't been able to break the habit, despite trying. Like you @busterandcal, my husband sleeps through all the crying and persistent puppy nagging and I'm afraid the sleepless nights broke me before it worked on the dog!

These days he sleeps through from about 10pm until 6am or thereabouts. On the odd occasion he'll wake at 2am I've obliged and taken him down for a wee. So far it hasn't become a regular habit... 🤞

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. Last night he slept through til 4 then the pawing and mouthing started. I took him downstairs and put him on his lead and took him in the garden and as soon as he’d done a wee brought him back in, no treats so he doesn’t think this is a nice thing to do, we went straight back upstairs on the lead, no talking to him or fussing him and he settled down and went straight back to sleep. I’m hoping he gets bored with this new routine soon.

I’ve bought him a new bed from Aldi today, it’s more of a box shape with sides as I think he might prefer the closed in bed to flat mattresses as he seems to like being closed in under chairs and in cubbyholes, he’s aleady climbed into it after a bit of sniffing, and gone to sleep in it. So fingers crossed we’re on the way to breaking the habit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts