Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum, im looking for any help and advice how to manage my dogs care(Ron) .he's 13,3 month has had arthritis most of his adult life and has had difficulties evacuating for a couple of years. 4 days ago he suddenly looked confused and disoriented and couldn't support his weight on his hind legs and was falling all over the place. He was given an antiimflamatory painkilling injection. 24 hours later he seemed a lot better and able to walk again . The next day the same thing happened, so we were able to take him to our local vet who says it is most likely cerebral and the nervous system. He is now on a medication to help manage his arthritis pain and to help his nervous system. The only way of determining the true problem is by having scans etc but i live on the small island of Lanzarote and there is no possibility of these tests on the island. It is heartbreaking seeing his distress and not certain of the true root of the problem. I realise he is old for a lab but i do hope with medication he can stay with us for longer,( although we will never have him unduly suffer)Has anyone experienced similar issues and if so can they offer any advice or direction on caring for him. It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
So sorry to read this. My first Labrador collapsed when she was around 12.5, and never did regain the use of her legs. Eventually my vet admitted he could do no more and the inevitable happened. Sorry, I know this is not what you want to read. I used to support her with a rolled up towel under her tummy when she needed to go out, but thats easier with the "plumbing" of a bitch than with a dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry to read this. My first Labrador collapsed when she was around 12.5, and never did regain the use of her legs. Eventually my vet admitted he could do no more and the inevitable happened. Sorry, I know this is not what you want to read. I used to support her with a rolled up towel under her tummy when she needed to go out, but thats easier with the "plumbing" of a bitch than with a dog.
Thanks for your reply John, I'm kind of expecting the worse but still hoping there could be some improvement. Just like you i also have been using a towel to support him when he needs to relieve himself, although its tricky at times.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I feel your pain. I think you might need to consider what is the kindest thing to do, for him to retain his dignity. I have just had to say goodbye to my girl, two weeks ago today. She was moving quite well, eating well, but suddenly developed urinary incontinence. Her kidneys finally gave in. We decided, at 14 years and 8 months, to let her go.

I hope you get a little longer with your boy, if only they could live forever. Xx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain. I think you might need to consider what is the kindest thing to do, for him to retain his dignity. I have just had to say goodbye to my girl, two weeks ago today. She was moving quite well, eating well, but suddenly developed urinary incontinence. Her kidneys finally gave in. We decided, at 14 years and 8 months, to let her go.

I hope you get a little longer with your boy, if only they could live forever. Xx

Thanks n

Thanks Maddie, he's been on medication for a few days now and has made a marked improvement, he is now quite able to walk unaided, i realise this could be a temporary improvement but we are just taking things a day at a time at the moment. We would never be selfish and if the time comes when he is no longer able to have any quality of life then we will do the right thing by him , as heart breaking as it may be. X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts