Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! My 13 year lab has started excessive panting for 7 days now she can’t even walk outside to the garden for a pee and back again without severely panting as if she ran 10miles! It’s very upsetting and scary! When she’s lying relaxing she still breaths/pants excessively it’s def not normal.
we have been with the vet and they have done x rays and a heart scan blood tests but nothing coming up that’s looks serious - they have put her on an antibiotic for a possible infection but she’s took them for 4 days and no change, going back to the vet tomorrow for another check over.
Can anyone help me I don’t want to loose my wee lab!! ☹

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
Heart would be the obvious thing, but your vet would have eliminated that, so I'd probably be thinking Laryngeal Paralysis. If so, there is a tie back operation, but at 13 personally I would not want to go down that route, feeling that the risk is too great. So it would be more about managing the situation.

But please understand, I am not a vet, so could be barking up the wrong tree.

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
My old girl pants when she's feeling a bit out of sorts and probably in a bit of discomfort. I have her on the Yumove specifically for old arthritic joints, and she recently started on Galliprant, as she's struggling a little bit more these days, but it seems to be working as she jumped over the sofa to get to the front door to be let out just that bit more quickly last week. She will lie and pant but less so now she's on the Galliprant, but I would assume at the grand old age of 15 she's probably got a few medical conditions going on that are undiagnosed, but I'm never going to find a cure for old age, which they are most likely associated with; so as long as she's happy to have her daily plod and looks to be enjoying life with not too much discomfort, I'll just keep her going like that. It is awful to see them growing older, I would discuss the options of different pain relief with your vet for your old girl to see if that makes a difference and keep her comfortable, we can never prepare ourselves for the inevitable even when we know it is there, as long as they're enjoying life and aren't in too much discomfort (we all creak a bit as we get older) that's the important thing xx

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
The oldies do tend to pant. My Betty panted if it was vaguely warm. Just make sure she has access to a cool spot, wAter and pain relief is she needs it and just accept it’s part of having an oldie. Nothing much you can really do about it. I know you don’t want to lose her but maybe it’s time to start thinking about it. I’m not saying it’s imminent but I’ve found that sometimes you have to come to terms with the fact that they don’t live forever. I lost my last two oldies at over aged 14 and I count that as a blessing. My current oldest just turned 14 in July. Most of her siblings have gone so I just make the most of it. I know it’s just a matter of time. I’m not grieving yet but the signs are there.

Reactions: Mrs H.A

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is so very sad starting to prepare ourselves for the inevitable. Our old yorkie boy, nearly 15, pants even on cool days if he's walking uphill, we all find ourselves making adjustments to accommodate our precious companions. I have to admit it's partly why we got our lab girl this year - when we have to say goodbye to the yorkies we'll have Jas to keep us going.
Like the others said, hopefully the Vet can prescribe appropriate medications to relieve symptoms.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Funnily enough I've stopped by here this morning to put exactly the same post up (almost a mirror image but not quite).

Judy is 13 in 4 weeks; she's had joint issues since a young dog so we kept her in the best possible condition - trim and muscular.
She is just the best dog in the world - calm, stoic, hyper intelligent and (bar her joint issues) fit as.

For a good few months now she has been panting so much on walks, even at the start, that we call her the steam train. At first i thought it was due to the summer months but now I just know it'll be due to her age and the horrendous hands of time that I just cannot stop.
I was thinking about a trip to the vets and seeing the mention of Galliprant above (which we've never tried but she is on MobileBones, CBD, Devils Claw and Senequin) I may still do that.

At the moment we are just loving her more each day and making sure she enjoys every second - even when she starts randomly barking at the top of her very big voice!!!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
Funnily enough I've stopped by here this morning to put exactly the same post up (almost a mirror image but not quite).

Judy is 13 in 4 weeks; she's had joint issues since a young dog so we kept her in the best possible condition - trim and muscular.
She is just the best dog in the world - calm, stoic, hyper intelligent and (bar her joint issues) fit as.

For a good few months now she has been panting so much on walks, even at the start, that we call her the steam train. At first i thought it was due to the summer months but now I just know it'll be due to her age and the horrendous hands of time that I just cannot stop.
I was thinking about a trip to the vets and seeing the mention of Galliprant above (which we've never tried but she is on MobileBones, CBD, Devils Claw and Senequin) I may still do that.

At the moment we are just loving her more each day and making sure she enjoys every second - even when she starts randomly barking at the top of her very big voice!!!
It's worth a try, it's just over £60 for 30 tablets, so not hugely expensive (at least not at my vet). The preferred route I would have liked to try was Librella, but that's only available for dogs already on it in my area, but I'll keep checking while Tau's still showing signs of wanting to run around, as that one doesn't affect kidneys or liver in the same way NSAIDs can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts