Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 11 week old pup just caught and ate a mouse !!
She has only had her first vaccination with the second one due on Monday.
Had a quick Google and all sorts of things came up !!
Should I be concerned ?

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
The short answer is no. It's unlikely that the mouse would itself be carrying any diseases which could be transferred to your puppy. Leptospirosis is nowhere near as prevalent in the UK as the internet would have you believe. The biggest risk is if the mouse has been poisoned. Was the mouse dead, or alive when your pup caught it? If alive then poison would be unlikely. Even if dead the amount of poison needed to kill it would be so small that it would be unlikely to do much harm, even to an 11 week old pup.

If you are worried at all then contact your vet, otherwise I personally would keep a watching brief and only bother the vet if I started to see my pup looking unwell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.
The mouse was alive as it went into the dogs mouth!
It was the Leptospirosis I had concerns about.
I will keep an eye on her just in case.

Andy

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
The problem with Lepto is that like flu in humans, there many different strains, so even the Lepto vaccine is not that affective. The latest Lepto 4 vaccine covers more strains than the older Lepto 2, but also can have rather more nasty side effects. (Many people refuse the Lepto 4 vaccine because of this.) But although people always associate Lepto with rats, thats not the end of the story. Rats can also infect sheep, foxes and other creatures, who's urine can then carry it. So a dog running in a field where sheep have been, can pick up infected sheep urine on their paws and when they get home can lay and wash their paws, so picking up Lepto. In fact it's just as easy for us to pick it up, but the sheer fact that we so rarely do goes to show just how rare it is!

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t worry. If you were going to take action (vet for an emetic) you’d have needed to have done it pretty pronto. My lot have eaten all sorts….added fibre 😉

Reactions: JohnW

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I wouldn't worry. My dogs have eaten all sorts over the years, mice, moles, rabbits, squirrels, birds, fish, all caught live or found in various states of decomposition.:sick: Non have come to any harm, at worst the prized meal has made a reappearance a few hours later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts