Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks for all the info and guidance I've read so far.
We have a female lab who's 10 weeks, she's been with us for 1 week and hasn't been able to settle alone yet.
Elsie will not settle to sleep unless she is being snuggled, once asleep she can be left to snooze but has not yet settled alone, she cries and cries and there's no 'crying it out' as the crying just goes on and on and she appears to get very distressed. We're all enjoying the snuggles but her need for snuggles includes when she wakes during the night which can be hourly!
Elsie doesn't have a crate, we have a small extension with a room divider across, a bed and chew toys.
It's probably due to our lack of experience as we have not had a dog before!
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,138 Posts
Hello MrsD, and welcome

How you choose to tackle this is up to you, but here is a few thoughts.

First off, think for a moment through the eyes of your pup. Until now all she has known since the day she was born was her breeder, her dam, her siblings and the place where she was born. Then suddenly EVERYTHING was gone. Strange people, strange place, ever her mother, brothers and sisters have disappeared. All familiar sights, sounds and smell has gone. Days are not so bad because there are things to see, but at might there is nothing to take her mind off of what has disappeared.

For all of their domestication dogs are still not far from wild animals, and with all the fears of the wild. At night she is alone in a room in the dark. Is that a predator creeping up? Strangely enough this is where a crate can be useful. It forms a den, walls all around so the bogey man cant get to her! I put an old blanket over it, which keeps it nice and dark. A stone hot water bottle full of warm, (not hot,) water wrapped in an old sweater, preferably one which you have warn but not washed do it has your scent on it, for her to snuggle up too, like she would her litter mates.

A friend always sleeps in the room with her pups for the first week or so. The breathing puts pup at it's ease, feeling it's not alone. For my part I'm a little harder hearted and go to bed and pull the pillow over my head! But I find a radio, tuned to a talking program (BBC World Service is good) helps my pups to believe they are not alone. I do get up at intervals during the night to take my pup out to do it's business. Normally I start by getting up 3 times, reducing to twice if 3 times are more than needed. How long this continues for depends on the pup. Some catch on quick, others seem quite slow on the uptake. Amy was clean and dry all night within 3 days, but others you start to despair of!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JohnW, thank you so much for your thoughts and expertise.
It definitely all makes sense.
Elsie's bed is tucked in a corner between a wall and the sofa side so she's quite enclosed, I might place a towel over the space to make it appear more enclosed, she has a blanket from the breeder with her.
Elsie's exactly the same during the day and night so perhaps that's just how she is and what she needs, she also cries when you leave the room so probably feeling unsure as you said.

I did leave her once today for a while and boy did she sulk when I got back! Those puppy eyes were invented for a reason!
Thanks again 😁

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, thanks for all the info and guidance I've read so far.
We have a female lab who's 10 weeks, she's been with us for 1 week and hasn't been able to settle alone yet.
Elsie will not settle to sleep unless she is being snuggled, once asleep she can be left to snooze but has not yet settled alone, she cries and cries and there's no 'crying it out' as the crying just goes on and on and she appears to get very distressed. We're all enjoying the snuggles but her need for snuggles includes when she wakes during the night which can be hourly!
Elsie doesn't have a crate, we have a small extension with a room divider across, a bed and chew toys.
It's probably due to our lack of experience as we have not had a dog before!
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I'd like to second all that John has suggested - we've had Jas since she was 8 weeks, she's now 16 weeks. Crating, particularly at night has proved invaluable. The first night she did howl for a few minutes each time she was put back in her den, but although it does pull at your heart strings, stay firm , the second night was better and the third she whined just a little then went fast asleep very quickly. For some time now she's put to bed after her last pit stop at 10, then we get up at 6. 30 ish, our place has thin walls and I can hear her snoring all night😀 There are lots of threads about crating on this site so I won't say too much more, just remember its very much like having a young baby, they need to know their boundaries and have a safe, comfy place to learn to sleep well - sleeping well is a skill best learned young! 🙂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts