Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Our 10 week old puppy quite often sits on a blanket on one of our sofas and we have to help her up.

When she wants to get off we try to lift her off but sometimes it's too late and she gets off herself (doesn't jump it's more of a slide).

Should we stop this as I'm not sure it may damage her hips?

Thanks again :)

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
I have a "No dogs on furniture" rule. But Chloe says she never signed up for that! She was 8 weeks old when I took this. But we arrived at a compromise. I still have my rule, and she still ignores it. ;) Really it's up to you what what "house rules" you have and if you are happy then no problem with her being on the furniture. I'm on my own now, so there is plenty of furniture for Chloe to relax on. Yes, try to help her up and down, but dont get over worried if she does it for herself. We can only do our best.

Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I don't let mine up when they're young, basically so they can't then fall off as downward landings have the potential to do more harm than a bit of a jump up onto something. It also gives a place of refuge for my other girls, so they have somewhere to get away from the puppy teeth. Once they're old enough they're allowed up on furniture, when they're too big to pick up and lift off.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
I was concerned about the damage to the puppies elbows/hips more than anything
Yes, thats why I said "try to help her up and down." But you can guarantee she will beat you too it more times than not, so you can only do the best you can. But stairs are a far greater risk, because in one flight of stairs there are many "Up's" going up and just as many "Down's" when coming back down, when compared with one up and one down for a sofa. You can only do your best, after which it's in the hands of the gods. If your pup has good hips then it would need something drastic to cause damage, where if your pup has poor hips then the chances are they are going to be poor in spite of all your care. Many years ago when my Anna was a baby she was asleep on my lap in my chair. Something happened and she awoke suddenly and jumped off my lap over the arm of the chair. But a hind leg slipped and went between my leg and arm of the chair, leaving her hanging by one leg! She was only about 9 or 10 weeks old at the time and of course, she started limping! I was convinced I'd broken her! But by the next day the limp had gone, and when she was old enough I had her hip scored, and she came back 2/2. As near perfect as makes no difference! Puppies are a lot more resilient than you might think. But then, it's normal to worry, we all do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts