Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to this site and looking for advice our 10 month old black lab shadow has become restless in the evenings not jumping and bounding around more like constantly walking around crying by the door wanting to go in the garden every 5 mins but just stands there doing nothing. He won't lay with us tried sitting on the floor on the sofa on pillows bu he won't lay down thing is he's knackered he will rest his head on the sofa and fall asleep standing until his back legs wobble and wake him up but he just won't lay down and settle to sleep. He's great through the night sleeps all night downstairs has runs and walks and training during the day just the evening is starting to drive me mad he's been doing it for about a week now.
Sorry or the long post wanted to give as much info as possible.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Do you know of a Bitch in season nearby? Boys can be very unsettled by the scent of a girl 'ready to go' if he returns to normal in a couple of Weeks then I'd put it down to that. It could be worth looking at castrating him in the future if it turns out to be this as it can save them the distress you are seeing once done. It could also be worth popping him on a long line or lead when out in the garden for a while incase he decides to make a break to reach her or her him when she is at her most fertile!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It may be that he is overly tired and ready for bed??

He maybe won't settle because he is afraid of missing something.

I know my Bonnie will sometimes ask to go to bed at 8.30 and won't settle unless I shut her crate door.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Would he settle with a kong or a chew in the evenings. Helps calm them. Maybe worth a go

?

·
0 Posts
Luna-Tuck said:
Do you know of a Bitch in season nearby? Boys can be very unsettled by the scent of a girl 'ready to go' if he returns to normal in a couple of Weeks then I'd put it down to that.

I was going to say exactly the same. It sounds like he can smell a Red Hot Mama.

Some boys are more affected than others by in season girls.

One of my neighbours have always had male EBTs which they kept entire, but this last one was a nightmare for the whole 3-4 weeks whenever one of my girls was in season. He would constantly pace, dig, howl and go off his food for the duration and in the end they gave in and got him castrated. They had never had half as much trouble with their other boys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone thanx for the advice he's already been castrated next doors dog was in season about a month ago and I'm pretty sure the other dogs on the street are all male, he has a kong and chew toys in the evening just not interested in it. Although just thinking about it now a new lab has moved in 2 doors own so could be that I suppose. Thanks again everyone

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Have you tried having a walk around the block, it might just help to settle him.

Coco doesn't settle while I am doing the ironing, she tends to wander around quite a bit, even though she can see me. I usually end up putting my snuggy into the chair so that she can sit on it. I think she likes me to be sat down in my chair so that she knows where I am and I'm not going to do anything without her. However, if I shut her in the kitchen she will just settle down quietly in her bed and not complain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts