Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know one 1 month old puppy should be with his mother but sadly i didnt knew that earlier so i bought a 37 days labrador puppy few days ago. he was active and healthy looking when i bought him from the pet store . after coming to home i fed him royal cannin puppy food with water (i didnt made paste... i just put it in hot water for 10 mins. ) but the puppy threw up . he was havig motions too . next day i went to vet and he gave vomiting injection and i also dewormed the puppy that day. since that i began feeding him nestle cerelac in hot water... he was eating good but soon hed throw up again .. its liek there is nothing in his stomach all day.

this is really worrying me. i m thinking to going to vet tomorrow again for glucose. is it advisable? what am i doing wrong ?

he was fine when he was at the pet stroe. even his sibling in the pet store is still healthy looking and bigger than mine :/ at the time of buying my puppy was most active and bigger.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I don't know where you are located but I would be at the vet with the pup NOW.

If you are in the UK the pet shop should be reported.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
In the UK most vets provide an emergency/out of hours service, but I don't know how things work in India. Have you tried phoning your vet to see if there is anyone you can speak to?

I have just dug out an old post I made for someone some time back who had a poorly Lab in India. I appreciate it's a large place and my geographical knowledge is about zero, but I'll post again in case it's of any help, as I don't know what else to suggest.

People here are (mostly) not vets, you really need to speak urgently to your vet.

I've just been googling to see if I can find any vets in your area (knowing nothing of India's geography but just taking the name Pune that you mentioned).

Take a look at this link to see if any of these places might be of help:
http://www.weforanimals.com/animal welfare organizations/animal-welfare-organizations-25.htm

I was looking under animal welfare type organisations but the Blue Cross, for example, mentions a veterinary hospital:

Blue Cross Society
T4, Florida Estates, Keshav Nager Mundhwa,
Pune- 411036, Maharashtra, India

Phone: (0ffice): 26879184 (Hospital): 65266492
Email: [email protected]

Activities: Animal shelter, veterinary hospital, animal birth control programme, awareness drives, rehoming of abandoned pets and stray animals, counseling of pet owners.

It really does sound as though your poor dog urgently needs to be at a good veterinary surgery/hospital and given treatment. I hope you can find someone to help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
First thing I would do would be to try and find any emergency or out of hours vets in your area. I would ring every single one and the first that answered I would tell them I was on the way with my sick puppy. Even if you have to travel and be up all night, puppy needs to see a vet immediately.

If you can't do that I would be trying to make sure puppy was drinking water so he/she doesn't dehydrate, and then going to the vet the second it opens in the morning.

I would also contact the pet shop owner (once puppy is stable) and make a huge complaint about selling puppies so young, and find out what local authorities can do about this practice.

I don't know what the 'norm' is for puppies in other countries, but if your puppy is insured, perhaps you could get in contact with your insurer to see if they can help you to locate an emergency vet immediately.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Please try to make the puppy drink a little, every now and again. They dehydrate very quickly. Please do this while looking for a vet, its very important to make sure he is taking fluids

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for the replies.

i have gone to vet in morning and got glucose injected in him. and the vet gave him some injections (vomiting and other injectinos) . felt like he had some energy now. then i got glucosed him again in evening . the vet said he had some kind of virus infection. she didnt say the name but i researched and this is most likely parvovirus. all symptons matches. the vet said i should come regulalry for few more days. he is not eating any food so i m giving him electrole oral rehydration salts now and then to prevent dehydration. no solid food.
but he is throwing up even ORS solution. i m giving him 5 ml of ORS for like every 3 hours? am i doing it right?
m going to vet again tomorrow morning. i really hope my puppy survives. i dont care if my money wastes but just the thought of a puppy dying in my care is really sad .

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
There is not a lot you can do now but sit and wait it out, offering VERy small amounts of soaked and mashed puppy food with glucose mixed into it every few hours alongside, fluids again with rehydration powders in dripped in.

I hate to say it, your puppy will defy odds if it does survive this at its tender age. stranger things have happened. my heart goes out to you.

The pet shops who sell puppies at this age anywhere in the world know they are doing wrong. But the BREEDERS that sell them to pet shops to sell are even worse.

I wish you luck. Fluids are more important than food right now but if i were your vet i would be admitting this puppy and putting it on a drip so don't be suprised if that is their next suggestion.

Di

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today morning I rushed to vet and injected glucose in him . Soon after that he closed his eyes and wasn't responding to anything . He wasn't sleeping ... But he was breathing . I gave him lot of electrole water and coconut water ... But no use . After few minutues... I hold him in arms as my Romeo llay dead . That moment .... I'm a well built somewhat "macho" man but I did have tears in my eyes . ... I couldn't even imagine how hard is it for parents who lose their children .. anyways..

I think serious action should be taken for ppl who sell puppies under 2 months ...without vaccination . I don't care that I lost 8k rupees at all ...just that I couldn't see a pup dying .

Also, thanks for the support . Lovely community you got here .

·
Registered
478 Posts
So sorry to hear that little Roneo didn't make it :( very very sad.

Have you contacted the pet shop you bought him from? It's not a case of getting your money back but educating these people that puppies should be with their mothers until 8 weeks old ideally. Plus, if your vet was right and Romeo had parvo virus, the other puppies in the pet shop could be at risk :(

I'm sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
So sorry to read this.

Sadly many countries do not have the same policies as others and you will be fighting a losing battle trying to change anything regarding welfare... but every complaint helps. I'm sure the pet shop will have some smart story about how 'all the other pups are fine' etc etc.

take this heartbreak and learn for yourself and advise all your relations and neighbours about it being much too early and to buy from a BREEDER directly and see mum and so on, rather than from a pet shop. If you can spread the word amongst those who care for you and will listen to you, then your little pup will not have died in vain.

My sympathies.

Di

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
:( Rip little Romeo, it is sad you never had a chance to enjoy all the wonders of Labbie hood :cry:

So sorry Salman, I hope you one day will be able to move on and enjoy the pleasure of owning a Lab one day :hug

June

1 - 20 of 22 Posts