Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking training questions so thought I should introduce us.
We have 2 black labs Olive 11 1/2 and Pearl coming up 3.
Olive is the greedy guts who will eat your coat to get to a remaining crumb in the pocket.
Pearl will smother you to get her belly rubbed 24hrs a day instead.
Both have some bad habits we have allowed to go too far. Pearl however is very excitable and reactive on lead to dog's especially heading towards her on a path. Currently starting with open spaces and high value treating.
She likes to play so I aim to add more other training and games at home. (Olive will also have some play if she wants it).
Last yr Pearl crashed into my leg on a dark evening walk damaging all 3 ligaments and training went a bit 馃檭. Hopefully not too late to remedy some things , major one being around other dogs on lead as we have been away with her camping and that was difficult.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Registered
Hi, I'm going to be looking out for replies to your questions very keenly as I can imagine asking very similar in a year or two- Jas is 10 months, large, strong and wilful, some aspects of training going very well but it seems that reactive behaviour on lead and jumping up are recurring themes, and we are meeting resistance to those 馃槈
Best wishes

Administrator
This is such a difficult question when you cant see the dog. Is it reactiveness, or is it high spirits?? Trouble is, Labradors are if anything over friendly and think everyone is wonderful and put on this earth to make a fuss of them. Labradors may be reactive to other dogs, but rarely to humans. (Saying that, one of the few dogs during my days of taking classes who bite me and really meant it was a black Labrador!) Trouble is, whats required to counter high spirits is somewhat different to whats required for a reactive dog. Figuratively speaking you can afford to stand on the over excitable, tell him off in a very firm voice, where with the reactive dog the aim is to boost his confidence.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With our dog. Youngest is highly excited to meet people , even dogs we rarely meet when off lead walking locally (open forests).
On lead she low growls, barks, jumps and flails around /spins if we are close to another dog. She doesn't drag to say hello.
In a car parked outside a shop and a dog passes, barking/growling.
She does seem more of an anxious dog than older one, maybe hid being her.
When we just got her and in our garden, ex neighbours black dog barked and barked at her which then became let's bark at black dogs. This calmed but now got worse.
Initially she was ok and did the dragging to say hello, but a few unwelcome hello's have her difficult to handle now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts