Labradors Forums - View Single Post - Non Retrieve
Thread: Non Retrieve
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowlady
House Trained
House Trained

Default Great Advice, Thanks

Wow, thanks to you all for that really helpful advice. Yes I have stopped doing any retrieves and am back to working on a better recall as this can be a bit 'iffy' unless I have food on me as often without food he will just sit and stare and refuse to budge, he does seem a little obstinate at times! I do go to gundog training classes but due to holidays we are on 2 weeks break so it seemed a good opportunity to get some practice in. I will try the methods suggested but noticed today that when I was playing with him and a ball, if I lay down on the grass he came straight back and instead of trying to grab it away from him, I just made a huge fuss of him and let him keep it whereupon he dropped it in front of me so I think it is my fault he won't return as I am doing too much grabbing. I do realise he is only young and we have a long way to go and maybe I should just try to enjoy him more and be less concerned about getting everything right all the time. On the whole he is very good for his age but he is a big lad and powerful so I am possibly over eager to get him trained as I worry about him being out of control. All the advice is much appreciated, thanks everyone.
Crowlady is offline   Reply With Quote

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ