Food - Labradors Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Early Riser
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 15
Default Food

Good evening all

Merry Christmas

Has anyone had experience with Royal canin Labrador puupy dry food?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Mark
JayJay13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 26-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lead Trained
Lead Trained
 
DJGoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London.... The edge of Madness
Posts: 1,940
Default

We gave that for a while but Judy didn't get on with it too well so we flipped onto BETA and she's ben on it ever since
We also try and do a bit of raw diet as well.... namely marowbones from our local butcher

Good luck
__________________
Nothing better in life than time with my Judy and Cooper
DJGoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lead Trained

Lead Trained
 
Tarimoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: God's own country
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay13 View Post
Good evening all

Merry Christmas

Has anyone had experience with Royal canin Labrador puupy dry food?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Mark
I wouldn't feed this to my pup, it's not only incredibly expensive, but poor quality, and the anti oxidant they use is a known carcinogen. There are much better foods out there for less money, Simpsons Premium, Skylos, even Skinners. Also worth noting I've read a few articles recently that are looking at the rise of cardiomyopathy and a possible link with completely grain free diets. I raw feed, but my dogs get left overs as well, which aren't always grain free, and whilst I wouldn't want their diet to contain a lot of fillers in the way of grains or other carbohydrates, a bit of grain isn't going to hurt them, and may, in light of recent research, actually be good for them.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...ee-diet-alert/
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ...
Tarimoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 27-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lead Trained
Lead Trained
 
ttfan1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I wouldn't feed this to my pup, it's not only incredibly expensive, but poor quality, and the anti oxidant they use is a known carcinogen. There are much better foods out there for less money, Simpsons Premium, Skylos, even Skinners. Also worth noting I've read a few articles recently that are looking at the rise of cardiomyopathy and a possible link with completely grain free diets. I raw feed, but my dogs get left overs as well, which aren't always grain free, and whilst I wouldn't want their diet to contain a lot of fillers in the way of grains or other carbohydrates, a bit of grain isn't going to hurt them, and may, in light of recent research, actually be good for them.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...ee-diet-alert/
I had a nosey at skylos a while back, it is basically ‘Country Kibble’ with a higher price tag. Exactly the same ingredients/composition but in a different bag. Very cheeky considering they state it’s ‘their food’ 😂 guy was pretty cheeky when I was asking him for advice and slating the food I was using at the time (Millies Wolfheart)
__________________
My beautiful Poppy 26/08/2005- 02/03/2015.

Cola (Cube) aged 3.5 and wee Rubix (Cube) 19 months
ttfan1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lead Trained

Lead Trained
 
Tarimoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: God's own country
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfan1978 View Post
I had a nosey at skylos a while back, it is basically ‘Country Kibble’ with a higher price tag. Exactly the same ingredients/composition but in a different bag. Very cheeky considering they state it’s ‘their food’ 😂 guy was pretty cheeky when I was asking him for advice and slating the food I was using at the time (Millies Wolfheart)
You will find a lot of the new products are pretty much the same, they go into one of two very large manufacturers, choose their ingredients, then label it up as their brand, so it's not surprising that a lot of them choose similar ingredients. There are very few manufacturers that actually make their own food, and even premium foods have different ingredients to make them affordable to be stocked in different places.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ...
Tarimoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lead Trained
Lead Trained
 
ttfan1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
You will find a lot of the new products are pretty much the same, they go into one of two very large manufacturers, choose their ingredients, then label it up as their brand, so it's not surprising that a lot of them choose similar ingredients. There are very few manufacturers that actually make their own food, and even premium foods have different ingredients to make them affordable to be stocked in different places.
I have seen many that do that, just think it’s pretty poor that they sell it as their own when it’s clearly easy to see that its not.
I know of at least 3 that are all identical foods but with different names/prices.
__________________
My beautiful Poppy 26/08/2005- 02/03/2015.

Cola (Cube) aged 3.5 and wee Rubix (Cube) 19 months
ttfan1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Labradors Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum