Labradors Forums - View Single Post - Will be looking for a lab come spring.
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnW
Administrator
Pack Leader

I have also had an epileptic Labrador, but then, I had my first Labrador in 1972 and have had many since that time, so don't consider one in all that time is a bad risk.

The problem with Labradors is two fold. Firstly there are so many that every vet probably gets w regular stream of Labs through their door. When you think of over 35000 being born every year just 1% having problems is 350 dogs. On the other hand there were just 48 Field Spaniels born last year, and if vets saw 1% of them they would only see half a dog! So yes, by the sheer numbers of Labradors vets will always see lots!

The other point is that because of the popularity of Labradors, they do attract the attention of puppy farmers. These might be a bit cheaper to buy, but usually come with enough health problems that they are going to cost far more in the long run. Always buy from a responsible breeder who had fully health tested their bitch and has chosen a stud dog also health tested. KC registration is relatively cheap so if the breeder has skipped that then I'd have to wonder what else they have skipped.

John
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ