Labradors Forums - View Single Post - Distracted on retrieve
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Widgeon
Early Riser

Default Distracted on retrieve

Hi,
First post here, first a bit about myself
I'm a Kentish lad of 37 who has been around field sports since I can remember.
I have 2 labs Widgeon a 3yr black and Ruby 4mths fox red lab. Widge is my first ever dog so I'm finding my way as I go.

He worked his first season on our shoot last year, mainly beating/picking up and a few days on the marsh for ducks, and I was pleased with him.

My question is now I have two dogs, when I'm training retrieves with them both, using two or more dummies, he seems to be undecided as to which to pick which results in him dropping one, picking another, dropping that one etc etc.

I guess it's a confidence thing but he's always been quick to the mark, collect and straight back.
What would be a good exercise to get him on, being as it's hard to correct him when he's 30 or so yards away, or is it a case of starting close - dropping two dummies at my feet and rewarding him picking one them being 'sent' for the second?

Hope this makes sense

Graham
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ